Choosing the best coffee maker for backpacking is like finding a needle in a haystack. because there is a multitude of brands out there that can put anyone in a state of decision paralysis.
Therefore, being a coffee fanatic, I thought why not help my fellow coffee lovers and backpackers find the best portable coffee maker.
So through this detailed guide to finding the perfect coffee maker for campers, hikers and backpackers, you will learn about top brands, their products, and things to know before getting a coffee maker.
We also have a bonus for you at the end teaching you how to make a very popular type of coffee with just a few tools at your disposal, so let’s get started:
coffeelovers101.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost, By advertising Amazon.com
Table of Contents
What to look for when getting the best portable coffee maker for backpacking and camping?
- Know the Types: There are basically three types of portable coffee makers; Press, Pour Over and Percolator. For the Press coffee maker, you need to leave the grounds in hot water for a few minutes, ideally 3-5 minutes. Then you need to press the grounds to get coffee using a plunger. For Percolator you need to have a stovetop to boil water and pass it through coffee grounds while Pour-Over Works like a drip coffee maker. So first decide which type is ideal for you.
- Ease of Use: Since we are talking about portable coffee makers, keep in mind that an ideal one should not have too many moving parts that you may forget to bring with you on your trip. Fewer parts also make it easy to use the coffee maker. Furthermore, it should be easy to clean like the AeroPress coffee maker so you don’t have to spend most of the time of your trip doing the dishes.
- Taste: Even if you use the exact same coffee grounds every time, the taste can significantly vary depending on the type of maker you have. So make sure to get the one that is not very complicated to operate and you can easily learn the techniques and quirks of making a good cup of Joe.
- Brew Time: Waiting for the first coffee of your day can be pretty frustrating if it’s taking a lot of time. So make sure to get the coffee maker that brews faster and in good capacity.
- Portability: Best coffee maker for backpacking or road trips should be portable or else there is no point in keeping 5kg coffee machine with a size of a mini washing machine in your car. So be sure to purchase the one that can easily fit in your car, van and even in your backpack like the AeroPress Coffee Maker.
What’re the best ways to make coffee camping?
One of the best ways to make coffee is through a portable coffee maker like AeroPress which is basically a combination between French press, pneumatic press and pour-over. It leverages a unique method to brew coffee with incredibly smooth and rich taste.
The AeroPress coffee maker compresses the grounds and turns them into a small puck making the cleanup a breeze. It is unequivocally the best coffee maker for backpacking, car camping, RVs and VanLife and can facilitate up to four people. Have a look at its detailed review below.
Aeropress coffee maker review:
Aeropress by Aerobie, although a bit heavy, is one of the easiest to clean and use. Furthermore, you will have the cleanest cups of coffee with Aeropress because of its ability to clean well eliminating the residues of previously brewed coffee.
The coffee maker has a rugged plastic design which is very durable and it comes with some extra equipment like stirring paddle, funnel for spill prevention and a measuring spoon.
The Aeropress coffee maker also has measuring units embedded in it allowing you to better control the ratio of your coffee and water without needing any other tools. All of these benefits and useful equipment have made Aeropress an essential in the repertoire of every coffee lover.
It is perfect especially for camping trips, picnics and long drives but can facilitate you well in all kinds of settings providing you with an incredible brew.
- Very sturdy plastic body that prevents scratching or breaking
- Comes with easy-to-use units for measurements
- Equipped with extra tools needed for coffee making
- Its forced extraction mechanism helps create a clean and strong coffee
- It’s a bit clunky which means it can take up a large chunk of space
- Needs three components for brewing coffee so if you lose one, it will not work
- UNIQUELY DELICIOUS: No more average joe from fancy, expensive machines. By...
- PATENTED 3-IN-1 BREW TECHNOLOGY: The only press that combines agitation and...
- BETTER THAN FRENCH PRESS: No more bitterness or grit. The patented 3 in 1...
- TRAVEL AND GIFT READY: Compact, durable, shatterproof and lightweight. Pack...
- An Amazing Cup, Now On The Go: Take the AeroPress Go with you and enjoy a...
- All About Taste & Practicality: The AeroPress Go travel coffee maker brews...
- Be Your Own Barista: The AeroPress Go is a new way of brewing coffee that...
- How to Use: Just add coffee and water, stir, and press! Easily makes 8 oz...
- Professional-Grade Coffee Right at Home: A household name amongst baristas...
- Goodbye, French Press: No more bitterness or grit. The rapid brewing of the...
- Travel with Your Coffee Gear: The AeroPress Original is lightweight,...
- How to Use: Just add coffee and water, stir, and press. Easily makes 10oz...
- Keep Pressing: Exclusively designed for use with AeroPress Original, Go and...
- Purest Coffee: Our micro-filters ensure a brew so pure and particle-free...
- Be Your Own Barista: AeroPress coffee makers are a new way of brewing...
- Easy to Use: AeroPress filters are ready to use straight out of the box,...
- PRISMO AEROPRESS COFFEE MAKER ATTACHMENT - Prismo is a pressure actuated...
- PULLING A SHOT WITHOUT AN ESPRESSO MACHINE - Prismo’s special valve stays...
- DITCH THE FLIP - Brew full-immersion coffees without inverting your...
- STREAMLINED & MESS-FREE - Reusable etched fine stainless steel filter for...
What is the best drip coffee maker for backpacking?
People who love a more intense and stronger flavor surely enjoy the drip coffee maker. But most of the time, the big size of these coffee makers and the need for electricity to operate can create problems for backpackers. However, Coleman has come up with a non-electric, lightweight and relatively smaller version.
This is definitely one of the most portable drip coffee makers for campers that you can find in the market at a bang for your buck. So let’s have a look at its detailed review below.
Quick review about Coleman camping coffee maker:
Looking for the best coffee makers for campers but not sure which one to get?
Well let me help you ease your decision paralysis by suggesting the Coleman camping coffee maker. Whether you have the electricity or not, you can always count on this automatic drip coffee maker.
Whether you are going on a fun family trip or going backpacking alone, this portable coffee maker will ensure you have your cup of Joe whenever you want.
It is compatible with two to three burner camp stoves and allows you to customize the flavor and strength of your coffee as well.
Furthermore, it has tons of useful features like brew-pause that lets you taste your coffee in the middle of its brewing cycle and has the ability to make tea and hot chocolate as well. Have a look at some of its pros and cons below:
- Perfect for family camping as it can make up to ten cups
- Has pause & serve feature
- Doesn’t require electricity
- Compatible with two to three burner stoves
- Has a removable filter basket in swing-out style
- Its Carafe has a glass body which poses a risk of breakage
What is the best camping percolator?
Besides Drip coffee makers, Coleman also makes percolators and this Coleman camping coffee maker is one of the best percolators out there that can facilitate up to 12 cups. Whether you have a grill or a stove, just put it on top and have a fine and tasty coffee ready to drink in minutes. Have a look at some of its features below:
- Solid stainless steel body that is corrosion-resistant and easy to clean
- Comes with a basket, base, basket lid and tube
- Very lightweight making it easy to take on backpacking
- Durable body designed for outdoor use
The best coffee maker for hiking and car camping:
If you are looking for the best coffee maker for backpacking then we know just what you need. Have a look at our list of most popular portable coffee makers for campers and hikers below:
How do you use a camping coffee press?
As recommended above, the best coffee maker in the Press category is Aeropress because of the ease of use. So I will tell you a step by step method of using it for making your coffee.
Here’s learn how to brew your best in an AeroPress when you’re on the road. This is a real-time video so you can let us be your guide and brew alongside the best baristas. Happy brewing!
How to Brew Coffee in an AeroPress
- Insert its filter
- Place the base over the cup
- Put coffee grounds in the base
- Put a few drops of water over the grounds to degas them
- Now fill with water and it will slowly start to drip into the cup
- After waiting for 10 to 15 seconds, depress the plunger
You will have the coffee ready to drink and/or serve.
BONUS: How do you make Cowboy Coffee?
Making Cowboy Coffee is pretty easy as you just need to have a water kettle and boiler with you along with necessary items that coffee requires. So there are three methods of making it, let’s see what those are:
- Method#1 – Clean Cup: For this method, you need a cheesecloth, bandana or a coffee sock made of cloth. Now boil the water, then remove it from the burner, place grounds of coffee in the cloth, put it in the kettle and again place on low heat boil.
- Method#2 – Sink Down: Put water in a kettle and boil it, now remove from burner, dump the grounds of coffee in it, again put on the low heat and let simmer. After a few minutes, the grounds will start to sit at the bottom but if they don’t, drizzle a bit of cold water to help them go down.
- Method#3 – Scoop Top: Put water in a kettle and boil it, now remove from burner and spoon in the grounds of coffee. Again put on the low heat and let simmer. Now skim off the grounds from the surface using the spoon.
Summary of the Best Coffee Maker for Backpacking:
Both the Aeropress coffee maker and the Coleman camping coffee maker have the ingredients that make the best coffee maker for backpacking. So now it is up to your personal taste and preference of the brewing methods. And if you need a little different portable coffee maker than these two, then make sure to check out the list we have provided above to get a maximum bang for your buck.
Related coffee Guides and Best Reviews:
- The Definitive Guide About Best Commercial Espresso machine small coffee shop
- Little Known Tips to pick the Best Espresso Machine Under 200 Dollars
- An Ultimate Guide for the Best Home Coffee Makers in the market